Here are some positives and negatives of both. Do you have any to add?
- If you’re not on the internet you don’t exist
- In the future SEARCH engines and SOCIAL platforms will be one and the same. Facebook is already the 2nd biggest search engine. Having a presence on Social Media is vital.
- Being on Social Media increases your access to users through their mobile phones (HTML 5 is in the process of development and will allow for a consistent ‘look’ and layout across all platforms.)
- NB: NEVER use flash on websites. It’s incompatible with iphone and ipad technology.
- SM platforms are not islands. They work together with, and enhance, current marketing strategies.
- SM can offer a much more measurable outcome of your marketing efforts (clicks, likes, views etc…)
- Customers find YOU using social media, you don’t have to seek them out
- SM might be your customers’ first introduction to your brand. You want it to be relevant, engaging, quality and up-to-date (which can’t always be achieved with website content)
- SM enhances website content and integrates with it. It drives traffic to your site where you can answer more in-depth questions that your clients might have
- The more platforms you exist on, the more likely you are to appear in search results
- By using SM, websites together with ‘older’ technology such as email, telephone, face-to-face contact, you are offering clients the opportunity to engage with you in THEIR preferred medium. They are immediately more comfortable in your presence and more confident that you will be able to provide for their needs
- SM offers you a ‘free’ platform to promote your business’ values, products, causes, services etc… to a global audience
- Time and valuable human resources are used (solution: start small, scale upwards according to demand. SM is an investment NOW that will pay off in the future)
- Your customer/client base may not be made up of early-adopters of technology (may have to lead a drive to get them into the 21st century.)
- Quality content might come at a slight cost, but it is worth the investment to ensure that your SM platforms and websites are SEO compliant as well as reaching your target audience (content needs to be relevant, engaging, quality)